Michigan Creamery’s Chocolate Ice Cream Wins Best in the Entire U.S.
Did you know that the best chocolate ice cream in the whole country is made in the Mitten State?
MOO-ville's Chocolate Ice Cream Wins The Blue Ribbon
At the convention, which is dubbed "the largest ice cream trade event in the U.S.", MOO-ville's chocolate ice cream received the highest score in its category, nabbing a blue ribbon M-Live reports.
It's not the only one of MOO-ville's flavors to be recognized. The ice cream maker's vanilla scored a red ribbon and was ranked among the top 15; strawberry made the top ten and earned a white ribbon.
What Makes MOO-ville's Chocolate Ice Cream So Tasty?
Troy Westendorp, who's in charge of ice cream production at MOO-ville Creamery tells Fox 47 News,
We still use all granulated sugar instead of corn syrup. We're also pushing the butterfat content about 60 to 70 percent. Which is about 25 percent higher than a lot of the competition. And we're using pretty much the highest premium of cocoa powder that we can find. It's got a rich chocolate flavor, obviously, but there are some notes of almost a nutmeg kind of a nutty flavor to it too. But really it's the smoothness that sets it apart.
So what's the name of this delicious ice cream? Nothing too fancy.
Westendorp tells MLive,
We don’t even have a special name for it. It’s just chocolate...We could probably find a good adjective to describe it.
More Than Just Traditional Flavors
Now, there are a lot of flavors at MOO-ville that do have unusual names. In fact, MOO-ville prides itself on coming up with unique flavors and names - they have more than 80 home-made, hand-dipped different flavors of ice cream!
Some of my favorites that I've tried at Heights Cream in Alger Heights are:
- Sea Monster: Sea salt caramel ice cream with cookie dough & real Oreo's mixed in
- Stars and Stripes Birthday Cake: White cake batter ice cream with bits of real frosting and pieces of homemade cake
- Summer Sunrise: Lemon sherbet with a strawberry swirl
Where Can You Get MOO-ville Ice Cream in West Michigan?
Speaking of Heights Cream, that's one of many places in West Michigan you can get MOO-ville's yummy ice cream.
Of course, you can visit the original MOO-ville in Nashville, where you can also tour the farm and see the MOO-ville cows that provide the mile for the ice cream.
MOO-ville also has locations in Zeeland, Ionia, and Eaton Rapids.
Additional places that scoop MOO-ville ice cream are:
- Parlor Cherry Hill Market 721 Cherry St. SE Grand Rapids MI 49503
- Pinkies Ice Cream & Desserts- 1127 Wealthy St SE Grand Rapids, MI 49506
- Heights Cream 2408 Eastern Ave Grand Rapids, MI 49507
- Robinettes Apple Haus 3142 4 Mile Rd NE Grand Rapids, MI 49525
- Underground Cookie Club 5422 Division Ave S Kentwood, MI 49548
- Trailside Treats 1111 Red Head Lane Belmont, MI 49306 616-292-8280
- Scoopers Ice Cream Shoppe 591 Ada Dr SE Ada, MI 49301
- Rocky's Dairy Depot 110 N Main St, Rockford, MI 49341
- KC's Cones and Coneys 422 N Main St NE, Cedar Springs, MI 49319
- Northside Pizza 829 N Michigan Ave Hastings, MI 49058
- Scoopt 155 Riverfront Plaza, Allegan, MI 49010
- Round the Corner Ice Cream 132 Mason St Saugatuck, MI 49453
- Dutch Farm Market 6967 109th Ave South Haven, MI 49090
- The Core Bistro JR Green Properties LLC 3111 Michigan Avenue W Battle Creek, MI 49037
Stores that sell MOO-ville ice cream include select Meijer and Family Fare locations.