Bed Bugs a Growing Problem in Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids has again landed on Orkin's annual list of the Top 50 Bed Bug Cities. This year, Grand Rapids climbed three spots on the list.
Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo and Battle Creek are combined as one for the list. Together, the cities have moved up five spots to 27th. That puts West Michigan just behind Phoenix and ahead of Boston. Baltimore, Washington D.C. and Chicago are the cities with the biggest bed bug problems. Detroit ranked 7th.
This is the sixth year the report has been released. Grand Rapids metro ranked 20th in 2014 and 33rd in 2013.
The list is based on data from where Orkin performed the most bed bug treatments from December 1, 2015 – November 30, 2016. The rankings includes both residential and commercial treatments.
Orkin offers tips for battling bed bugs.
- Inspect your home for signs of bed bugs regularly. Check locations where bed bugs hide during the day, including mattress seams and behind baseboards, headboards, electrical outlets and picture frames.
- Decrease clutter around your home to make bed bug inspections and detection much easier.
- Inspect all secondhand furniture before bringing it inside your home.
- Dry potentially infested bed linens, curtains and stuffed animals on the hottest temperature allowed for the fabric.
During travel, remember the acronym S.L.E.E.P to inspect for bed bugs:
- Survey the hotel room for signs of an infestation. Look for black or brown spots on any furniture.
- Lift and look in bed bug hiding spots: the mattress, box spring, bedskirt and other furniture, as well as behind baseboards, pictures and even torn wallpaper.
- Elevate luggage away from the bed and wall. The safest place is in the bathroom.
- Examine your luggage while repacking and once you return home from a trip.
- Place all dryer-safe clothing from your luggage in the dryer for at least 15 minutes at the highest setting after you return home.