MICHIGAN GHOST TOWN: Wooster, Newaygo County
The little community of Wooster lies in Sherman Township within Newaygo County, about five miles northeast of Fremont.
Before the 1880's, it was an unnamed postal station along the Chicago/West Michigan (later the Pere Marquette) Railroad. A ways east down the tracks was a stop called "Worcester Station"...it was re-named Ryerson Station and when the unnamed stop was settled as a lumber community in 1882, it took the name "Worcester" and abbreviated it to "Wooster". It has also been referred to as "Wooster Hill", "Worchester", and sometimes "Woolster".
During Wooster's prime, the town had a creamery, depot, general store, pickle station, post office, produce warehouse, sawmill, schoolhouse, and telephones. All that's left is a couple of old buildings and a schoolhouse which has been turned into a home.
Today, there are a handful of Woosterites residing in the area, but there are no stores, shops, gas stations, restaurants, grocers, or party stores. So when you drive-thru, just plan on taking some photos or video.