Michigan is One of the Nation’s Fattest States
Sorry to put a damper on your weekend plans to gorge on pizza while binge watching 'Cobra Kai', but we need to talk about how fat we are.
While we’re always hearing reports about the latest diet or exercise craze, it seems as though most Americans aren’t really focused on getting themselves healthy. In fact, a new report suggests America’s obesity problem is worse than ever.
- Data from Trust for America's Health finds adult obesity rates in the U.S. are at 42.4% this year, the first time it’s ever passed 40%.
- Overall, the national obesity rate has increased 26% since 2008.
- Rates of childhood obesity have also increased to 19.3% for children two to 19.
- Mississippi once again has the highest obesity rate in the country at 40.8%.
- Colorado has the lowest at 23.08%
- Overall 12 states have obesity rates over 35%. They include:
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
OUCH! That's a truth bomb nobody wanted to hear. The good news is Michigan is a state with a remarkable trail system for both hiking and biking, and we have some of the best kayaking rivers in the country, so put the doughnut down and step outside, you'll feel better, and maybe next year I won't have to write this article again.
40 Michigan Towns With Names Even Life-Long Michiganders Can't Pronounce