Want a Job with the City of Grand Rapids?
Over 300 City of Grand Rapids workers are retiring in the next few years-- and that means job openings for you! With hiring events being held periodically, the city is looking to fill these positions.
So what kind of jobs are they? And what do they pay?
Many of the jobs do require certain skill sets. Mari Beth Jelks managing director of Administrative Services, told WOOD-TV 8,
Skilled trades is one of the areas we really are suffering in because there’s a scarcity in the state of Michigan... We’re talking about electricians, mechanics... When we bring in new people and hire new people, they have to be multifaceted in their talents and capabilities and skills.”
Some jobs are entry level, while others require advanced degrees.
So let's dig into it. What jobs are open right now? (Requirements listed are the basic ones-- find out all the information by clicking on the position)
Here are some of the gigs available, at all different salary levels:
- Wastewater/ Water Plant Supervision, $72 - $92K Requirements: Bachelor's degree, five years of experience related to wastewater treatment activities and/or water distribution filtration activities, supervisory experience.
- Certified General Appraiser, $54K-$71K Requirements: Graduation from high school, Certified General Appraisal License, five years of experience.
- Journeyman Line Foreperson $49K-$62K Requirements: Graduation from high school, a Journeyman electrician license, five years of experience in line maintenance and construction.
- Crime Scene Technician, $47K-$61K Requirements: Bachelor's Degree in a Natural Science, experience in a forensic laboratory.
- Economic Development Assistant, $40K-$54k Requirements: Graduation from high school, post graduate college course work in business administration or similar degree, three years' experience.
- Sign Fabricator I $34K-$43K Requirements: Graduation from high school, Possession of a valid Michigan Commercial driver's license.
- Clerk II Typist $15.45 Hourly Requirements:Graduation from high school, one year of successful clerical experience.
- Public Works Maintenance, Grand Rapids Public Library $13.34- $14.43 hourly Requirements: Graduation from high school, five years of experience in building maintenance.