5 Millionth Fan Probably at Griffin’s Game Saturday
This weekend will be crazy in Downtown Grand Rapids. LaughFest, the Symphony, St. Patrick's Day, and, the Griffin's.
Saturday, of course, being St. Patrick's Day, means everybody will be green. I don't know if the Griffin's will dress in green, but Griffin fans will be....."green with envy".....as the 5,000,000 fan...that's 5 millionth...will probably walk through the gates to a shower of prizes.
The Griffins host the Hamilton Bulldogs at 7 p.m. at Van Andel Arena. Entering tonight's home game against Toronto, they have drawn 4,990,526 fans over the past 16 seasons, just 9,474 shy of the 5 million milestone..
They're looking for a crowd of about 8,000 tonight, so, the lucky fan will likely come soon after the gates open at 6 p.m. Saturday.
And, when I say lucky, I mean lucky. Look at what they'll win:
• A Griffins jersey with the No. 5;
• Five lower bowl tickets to every Griffins home game during the ensuing 5 million seconds (58 days);
• Enough Marathon gas cards to travel 5 million feet ($150);
• 5 million microliters of Pepsi (5 liters);
• 5 million micrometers of hot dogs (32 packaged dogs);
• 5 million milligrams of Van Andel Arena popcorn (11 pounds);
• Five entrees from Qdoba;
• Five days of recognition on the griffinshockey.com splash page;
• A 5 million microsecond (five second) standing ovation from Griffins fans during the presentation.
By-the-way, the Griffins average 7,119 fans to rank sixth in the 30-team AHL. Congrats Griffin's!