Bill Gates Tops Forbes 400 For 21st Year, While Meijer Brothers Doug and Hank, Richard DeVos Make Top 100
Gates' estimated worth was $81 billion, up $9 billion from 2013. Berkshire Hathaway's Warren Buffett was No. 2 is at $67 billion, up $8.5 billion from last year. Oracle's Larry Ellison was No. 3, with a personal worth of $50 billion -- up $9 billion from last year.
Meanwhile, the personal worth of Hank Meijer and Doug Meijer, who head the Meijer family-owned, Walker-based Meijer grocery and retail chain, is estimated at $7.9 billion to $8 billion, 55th on the list according to Forbes. Hank is the company's CEO.
DeVos came in at No. 83 with an estimated worth of $6 billion, having founded Ada-based Amway with Jay Van Andel.
Other Michiganders in the list included:
- No. 117, Dan Gilbert, Quicken Loans founder and owner of the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers, $5 billion.
- No. 122, Michael Ilitch and Marian Ilitch and family, Ilitch Holdings (Little Caesar Enterprises, Olympia Entertainment, Uptown Entertainment, Detroit Red Wings, Detroit Tigers and Olympia Development), $4 billion.
- No. 161, Ronda Stryker, Stryker Corp., $3.4 billion.
- No. 214, A. Alfred Taubman, The Taubman Company, $2.9 billion.
- No. 353 (tie), John Brown, Stryker Corp., $1.8 billion.
- No. 353 (tie), Jon Stryker, Stryker Corp., $1.8 billion.
- No. 368, Manuel "Matty" Moroun and family, CenTra, Inc., (Ambassador Bridge), $1.7 billion.
Forty-seven women are on the list, down from 48 last year. This year includes newcomer and self-made billionaire Elizabeth Holmes (No. 110), a 30-year-old who founded Theranos, a Palo Alto, Calif., company disrupting the blood-testing business.
The combined wealth of Forbes’ 2014 ranking of the richest people in America, titled The Forbes 400, is $2.29 trillion, up from $2.02 trillion in 2013.
It took a minimum net worth of $1.55 billion to make The Forbes 400, $250 million more than in 2013.The average net worth of a Forbes 400 member is $5.7 billion, with 113 billionaires not making the list, according to Forbes.