Has It Become Too Dangerous To Walk Your Dog In Grand Rapids?
Call me dramatic if you want, but while walking my dogs Benny and Paddy the other day in my neighborhood (Midtown / Eastown) I had several close calls with things that were left on the ground and could have ended badly if they had gotten a hold of them.
Has It Become Too Dangerous To Walk Your Dogs In Grand Rapids?
While going on a 1-hour walk with Benny and Paddy after work the other day, I encountered multiple things that were on the ground that could pose a danger to the well-being of my dogs, as well as any child or adult that was walking, jogging, or biking in the area.
What Things Are Dangerous For Dogs To Ingest?
There are a lot of things that could be deadly if a dog ate them. According to Batter Sea, these are some of the most dangerous and toxic things for dogs.
- Onions, Garlic, and Chives: The onion family, whether dry, raw, or cooked, is particularly toxic to dogs and can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage
- Chocolate: Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine (dark chocolate has the highest content of this) which is toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure
- Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts contain a toxin that can affect your dog’s muscles and nervous system resulting in weakness, swollen limbs, and panting
- Corn on The Cob: Although the corn is digested by dogs, the cob can cause a blockage in your dog’s intestine
- Avacado: Avocado plants contain a substance called persin which is in its leaves, fruit, and seed and can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs
- Artificial Sweetener: These can cause dogs to go into hypoglycemia, which is linked to liver failure and blood clotting disorders
- Alcohol: The drink not only causes intoxication as it does in humans, but it can lead to sickness, diarrhea and even central nervous system damage
- Cooked Bones: These can easily splinter and in large quantities cause constipation or at worst, perforation of the gut, which can be fatal.
- Grapes and Raisins: The active ingredient which causes the toxin is unknown, however, both grapes and raisins may cause severe liver damage and kidney failure