Your Breakfast is Ruined: Golf Balls Found in Hash Browns
*in my best game show voice* & today's food recall is....((anticipation)).... golf balls in your hash browns! *womp womp*
McCain Foods USA has issued a recall of two brands of their hash browns because they say it
...may be contaminated with extraneous golf ball materials that despite our stringent supply standards may have been inadvertently harvested with potatoes used to make this product."
They also say that eating these hash browns may pose a choking hazard. Ya think?! A golf ball isn't something one normally consumes.
The real question here is how the heck did pieces of golf ball wind up in the hash browns? Did someone think it would be a funny prank to throw in a golf ball in the mixing material at the factory? Or did someone have a really bad (yet impressive) aim while playing golf and the ball just happened to land in the hash brown factory? Regardless, don't eat these brands of hash browns:
- Roundy’s Brand, 2 lb. Bag of Frozen Southern Style Hash Browns &
- Harris Teeter Brand, 2 lb. Bag of Frozen Southern Style Hash Browns
Either throw the product(s) away or return them to the store for a refund. According to the FDA the potatoes were sold in Wisconsin, Illinois, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Washington D.C., Delaware, Florida and Georgia. While they weren't sold in Michigan, you may know someone who lives in one of these states so it's still worth passing the information along because you don't want your friend to choke... on a golf ball. Thankfully, that hasn't been the case as no injuries have been reported.
Would this be the same as as the warning labels for people with food allergies? Warning: Made in a factory that contains golf ball materials. I'd almost be intrigued to buy them.