St. Cecilia Music Center is Musical ArtPrize Exhibition Center
St. Cecilia Music Center announced that they will continue, and enhance their role of music in ArtPrize 2012.
New this year will be five cash prizes given in five different musical genres. St. Cecilia Music Center will be presenting five $2,000 awards, plus prize packages, in the categories of pop/electronic, rock/blues, folk/country, jazz and classical. The winners will be chosen by the popular vote on the ArtPrize website.
Live performances of musical ArtPrize entries will be at St. Cecilia Music Center the first weekend of ArtPrize from September 20 through 23, 2012 which is located at 24 Ransom Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503.
Thursday, September 20 from 5:00-8:00 pm in Royce Auditorium
Friday, September 21 from 5:00-10:00 pm in the St. Cecilia parking lot - tented location
Saturday, September 22 from 3:00-10:00 pm in the St. Cecilia parking lot - tented location
Sunday, September 23 from 12:00-6:00 pm in the St. Cecilia parking lot - tented location
Listening stations will be available during the entire three weeks of ArtPrize (September 19-October 7) featuring musical entries. In addition, music samples will be featured on the ArtPrize website.
The grand prize given by ArtPrize is $200,000 and all music entries will be eligible for the performance/time-based juried award of $20,000.
For artists entering a musical/performance piece, here are the rules:
- The song or piece must be an original piece of music written within the last three years.
- You must register on the ArtPrize website and create an artist profile by May 24. Enter at www.artprize.org. VERY IMPORTANT: List your form as “Performance” and your medium as “Music.”
- In order to be eligible for prize money you must “tag” yourself on the ArtPrize profile by typing in which genre you belong. You may choose only ONE genre and they include:
- There must be a recording of the piece embedded by June 21 at close of connection period. You will need to use a media player from another website such as YouTube.com or Vimeo.com for video and SoundCloud.com for audio. You can create a free account on one of those type of sites and then paste the embed code in the space provided on the Work Entry form. Questions regarding embedding can be answered at email@example.com.
- Once you create your profile musicians should “connect” to St. Cecilia Music Center so we can see your request to enter as a performer and we can either decline or accept the connection request.
- You must pay the registration fee as needed. $50 for solo artist and $25 per additional collaborators.
- Note: If you are a band and want the band’s name to be used as the entry name (the name that will receive publicity) you should click “collaborator” and list a second person’s name when registering. There is an additional $25 per collaborator. You may list all the band member names if you are willing to pay the additional fee for each name but it is not necessary. The names listed will receive the award money if the band wins. Arrangements regarding distribution of prize money within a group is the responsibility of the group.
- One musician may not have multiple chances to win through various projects so an artist may only enter once, either as a solo artist or part of a band or group.
- All groups will have the opportunity to perform live during the first weekend of ArtPrize at St. Cecilia Music Center. Performance slots will be booked on a first come, first serve basis and scheduled at the discretion of St. Cecilia Music Center on the dates of Thursday, September 20; Friday, September 21; Saturday, September 22 and Sunday, September 23.
Best wishes and good luck to all entrants.
By they way, St. Cecilia Music Center will also have visual art in their Terryberry Gallery.