Safe Boating Tip of the Week: Enjoy the Water [Sponsored]
Boaters should enjoy their time on the water, being smart and playing safely while on it.
- Always wear your life jacket.
- Never sit on the gunwale (sides) of a boat while in motion.
- Do not ride on the bow decking of a boat while in motion.
- Never tow a skier or tuber without an observer.
- Pay attention to marker buoys and idle zone restricted areas.
- For those who are age 21 years old and older, consume alcoholic beverages in moderation (0.08 percent blood-alcohol content is the legal limit in Michigan). If you are younger than the legal age to drink, another reminder: It’s illegal; don’t drink.
- Use navigational lights and anchor lights between sunset and sunrise.
- Obey the speed limit on all inland lakes and waterways.
While August has arrived, there’s still plenty of boating to be done. Summer ain’t even close to being over.