Red Cross Creating ‘Comfort Kits’ for Fire Victims
House fires can be devastating to all of us. Burned out of homes, where do we go? What do we do?
For families devastated by a fire, the American Red Cross of West Michigan is creating what they call “Comfort Kits.” They include everything from personal hygiene items to coloring books for the children.
The Red Cross gets calls regularly from different fire departments asking if they can help. The answer is of course, yes. Each family member gets a kit that makes them feel more at home.
The adult kit includes a toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, bar of soap, washcloth, lotion, deodorant, razor, shaving lotion, shampoo and tissues. The kids also receive a kit that contains a child size toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, bar of soap, washcloth, coloring book and crayons.
This year the organization’s Tiffany Circle Society of Women Leaders wanted to make the comfort kits as a service project and they are hoping be able to assemble 600.
All of us can help. The collection will run from Oct. 1 to Oct. 31, with drop locations all over town.
The designated drop locations include:
• American Red Cross, 1050 Fuller Ave. NE, Grand Rapids
• Independent Bank, 6750 Cascade Road SE, Grand Rapids
• Sorella Hair Design 6886 Cascade Road SE, Grand Rapids
• Griffin Properties, 1163 East Fulton St., Grand Rapids
• Watermark Insurance Services, 4290 Cascade Road SE, Grand Rapids
• Cascade Twp. Branch of the Kent District Library, 2870 Jack Smith Ave. SE,
• Grand Williams Kitchen & Bath, 3850 29th St. SE, Kentwood
• Williams Kitchen & Bath, 658 Richmond St., NW, Grand Rapids
• Applebee’s Restaurant, 3250 Grand Ridge Drive NE, Grand Rapids
• Vitale’s Sports & Lounge, 3868 West River Drive NE, Comstock Park
• Pak Mail, 6757 Cascade Road SE, Grand Rapids
• Pak Mail, 5355 Northland Drive NE, Grand Rapids
• United Bank, 900 East Paris Ave. SE, Grand Rapids
Come on, get on the stick. Start collecting some of the items I’ve talked about and drop them off at any of the above locations. You’ll fee good!