Opera Grand Rapids Collegiate Competition
The annual Collegiate Vocal Competition of Opera Grand Rapids has been extremely competitive. A record number of students entered the Vocal Competition and only nine students though advanced to the Final Round Concert, slated for Sunday, April 14, at the Betty Van Andel Opera Center.
The competition is divided into two Divisions as the annual competition provides an opportunity for regional vocal students to compete in a professional atmosphere, while gaining valuable feedback from the judges.
Open to regional colleges and universities, the Collegiate Vocal Competition was opened up to students from Western Michigan University for the first time this year.
Division 1 Finalists are:
• Andrea Flemming Grand Valley State University
• Emalie Huber Grand Valley State University
• Zachary Lutes Grand Rapids Community College
• Jenna Buck Hope College
• Chelsea LaJoye Calvin College
• Chelsea Helm Western Michigan University
• Sarah Mikulski Western Michigan University
• Brian Schneider Western Michigan University
• Ema Katrovas Western Michigan University
Division 2 winner:
• Alicia Renney Western Michigan University
The finalists will compete in a concert style setting at 7pm, Sunday, April 14, the Betty Van Andel Opera Center, 1320 East Fulton. The concert is free and open to the public.