Michigan Memorial Day Weekend Road Construction – 2014
The roads will be packed over Memorial Day weekend in Michigan.
Many lanes which have been closed will reopen for the holiday weekend.
Some lanes will not open.
Check the list of Memorial Day weekend construction projects in Michigan before you go and make your trip a little smoother.
AAA Michigan says 1.1 million people are expected to hit the road in Michigan over Memorial Day weekend.
The Michigan Department of Transportation is making things easier by suspending work and opening up lanes on most construction projects in Michigan.
Beginning at 3 p.m. Friday, May 23, and continuing until 6 a.m. Tuesday, May 27, 80 of 108 projects statewide will have lane restrictions removed.
Equipment and temporary traffic configurations, like minor shifts, may remain in place.
An optimist would say most of the projects will have all lanes open.
A pessimist might say there are still 28 projects with lane restrictions.
Whether you are an optimist or a pessimist may have something to do with how many lanes are closed on your route.
Here’s a list of work zones that will remain active or have lane restrictions during Memorial Day weekend.
- I-96, Kent County, will have all lanes and ramps open under M-50 with a traffic shift.
- M-45 (Lake Michigan Drive), Ottawa County, will have all lanes open in each direction at 120th Avenue with a traffic shift. 120th Avenue is closed south of M-45.
- US-131, Mecosta County, will have all lanes open over 3 Mile Road. 3 Mile Road will be closed under US-131 and detoured via local roads.
- M-26, Houghton County, has two lanes open between the Portage Lake Lift Bridge and Dollar Bay with a temporary roadway.
- M-35, Menominee County, has one lane open over Turtle Creek under a temporary traffic signal.
- M-149 near Manistique, Schoolcraft County, has a posted detour in effect at Dufour Creek.
North Lower Peninsula
- M-22, Benzie County, will have one lane closed on the bridge over the Platte River with a temporary traffic signal.
- US-23, Iosco County, will have a lane shift south of Au Sable with one lane open in each direction in the passing relief lanes.
- US-31 in Petoskey, Emmet County, will have one lane closed in each direction.
- North Shore Drive in Casco Township, Allegan County, will be closed over I-196 with a detour posted.
- I-94 Business Loop (Stadium Drive) in Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, will have one lane open in each direction from 11th Street to just east of Seneca Drive.
- I-196 in Covert Township, Van Buren County, will have one lane closed in each direction over County Road 378 (32nd Avenue).
- M-96 (Columbia Avenue) in Battle Creek, Calhoun County, will be closed over Raymond Road with a detour posted.
Central Michigan and Thumb
- I-75 Zilwaukee Bridge, Saginaw County, will have the following restrictions in place from Janes Road to the I-675 north junction:
- Northbound I-75 will have all lanes open until 8 p.m. Saturday, May 24. Southbound I-75 will be detoured to southbound I-675.
- Northbound and southbound I-75 will be detoured to I-675 from 8 to 11 p.m. Saturday, May 24.
- Southbound I-75 will have all lanes open beginning 11 p.m. Saturday, May 24. Northbound I-75 will be detoured to I-675.
- M-20/US-10 Business Route in Midland, Midland County, will have the eastbound exit ramp to Patrick Road closed with a detour posted.
- M-24 in Lapeer, Lapeer County, will have one lane open in each direction from De Mille Road to Tower Street.
- M-53, Lapeer County, will have one lane open in direction from Hunters Creek Road to I-69; I-69 will have one lane open in each direction at the M-53 interchange.
- I-94 in Jackson, Jackson County, will have the following ramps closed at US-127 with a detour posted:
- Northbound US-127 to westbound I-94, and
- Westbound I-94 to southbound US-127.
- I-94 Business Loop (Jackson Road) in Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, will have one lane open in each direction between the ramp to eastbound I-94 and Collingwood Drive.
- M-21 and M-52 in Owosso, Shiawassee County, will have one lane open in each direction between Chestnut Street and M-52, and between M-21 and the Shiawassee River.
- M-59, Livingston County, will have one lane open in each direction at Hacker Road with a traffic shift.
- M-125 in Monroe, Monroe County, will have one lane open in each direction between Jones Street and Stewart Street.
- US-127, Jackson County, will have one lane open in each direction between Parnell Road and Henry Road.
Metro Detroit Region
- I-96 is closed in each direction between Newburgh Road and US-24 (Telegraph Road). Also, the I-96 express lanes/ramps are closed between M-39 (Southfield Freeway) and US-24. Schoolcraft Road has one lane open between I-275 to US-24.
- M-85 (Fort Street) is closed in each direction between Oakwood Boulevard and Miller Road. One lane is open between Miller Street and Dearborn Street.
- M-102 (Eight Mile Road) has two lanes open in each direction between Beech Daly Road and Burt Road.
- No restrictions.
- M-53 (Van Dyke Avenue) has two lanes open in each direction between 10 Mile Road and 14 Mile Road.
St. Clair County
- I-94/I-69 in Port Huron has the following lane restrictions in effect:
- One lane open in each direction between Range Road and Lapeer Road.
- The eastbound I-94 ramps to I-69 and I-69 Business Loop are closed.
- Michigan Road is closed over I-94/I-69.
- Lapeer Road has one lane closed in each direction under I-94/I-69.