Mayor George Heartwell Delivers 2013 Grand Rapids State Of The City Address
A variety of topics were discussed as Mayor George Heartwell delivered the 2013 Grand Rapids State of the City Address on Saturday.
A $100,000 donation from Mercantile Bank was announced at the address. The money will go to Upward Bound to help prepare teenagers for college.
Other topics discussed included: restoring the rapids, the Michigan Street Corridor Planning Initiative, education, global warming, sewer improvements, solar energy, and more.
Awards and recognitions given to Grand Rapids were also discussed. Here are a some of those which were mentioned:
- Best places to live in the US from Relocate America.
- Best cities for raising a family from Forbes.
- Best cities to retire to from “Where to Retire” magazine.
- Brooking Institute labeled Grand Rapids among the top ten “comeback cities”.
- US Chamber of Commerce Seimans Most Sustainable City Award.
- The US Conference of Mayors environmental and climate protection award.
- Listed in the top ten urban fisheries in America by Fly Fisherman.
- Beer City USA.
And there were more.
It's an exciting time to be in Grand Rapids! There are many challenges, but even more reasons to look forward to the future!