Learn The Art Of Sand Sculpting At Michigan State Parks This Summer
Sand castles are a fun summertime tradition!
Sand castles and sand sculpting can also be a serious form of art.
Learn the art of sand sculpting from an expert for free at Michigan state parks this summer!
Professional sand artist (who knew there was such a job?!) Janet Schrader will be touring state parks and teaching her craft for free this summer.
The classes are part of the Michigan DNR’s Recreation 101 programming which offers a variety of free classes.
Michigan.gov has all of the scheduling and registration information:
Sand Sculpting 101 takes place from 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. at each location, followed by Sand Sculpting 202 from 12:30 – 2 p.m. The schedule for the classes is as follows:
- Saturday, June 1: Warren Dunes State Park (Berrien County)
- Saturday, June 8: Van Buren State Park (Van Buren County)
- Sunday, June 9: Holland State Park (Ottawa County)
- Saturday, June 15: Ludington State Park (Mason County)
- Sunday, June 16: P.J. Hoffmaster State Park (Muskegon County)
- Monday, June 17: Muskegon State Park (Muskegon County)
- Tuesday, June 18: Duck Lake State Park (Muskegon County)
- Thursday, June 20: Grand Haven State Park (Ottawa County)
- Wednesday, August 7: Silver Lake State Park (Oceana County)
- Thursday, August 8: Charles Mears State Park (Oceana County)
Equipment is limited for these classes, and advance registration is required. To reserve your space in the course, contact Janet Schrader at firstname.lastname@example.org. Cash or check will be accepted as payment for Sand Sculpting 202.
Sounds like a fun, unique way to spend a little time on the beach!