Grand Rapids Griffins’ Purple Community Game Benefits Van Andel Institute [Sponsored]
Through the Purple Community Game, the Griffins and Purple Community provide an opportunity to donate to biomedical research, with every dollar directed to research labs at VAI. The game time for the American Hockey League matchup is 7 p.m. EST at Van Andel Arena, 130 W. Fulton Street in Grand Rapids.
The Purple Community’s mission is to support biomedical research and science education at Van Andel Institute (VAI) through grassroots fundraising and awareness-building events.
This year’s Purple Community Game includes:
- A ceremonial puck drop with former Detroit Red Wings first round draft pick Brent Peterson, who is now a color analyst with the NHL's Nashville Predators and founded the Peterson Foundation for Parkinson’s.
- Intermission with WOTV-4's Maranda.
- A 50-50 raffle, with 100 percent of proceeds going to VIA.
- A limited-edition Purple Community Game jersey auction at The Intermission Restaurant & Bar in the arena after the game.
- Limited-edition co-branded apparel -- hoodies and t-shirts featuring Purple Community and Grand Rapids Griffins logos -- on sale in the arena.
The Griffins will wear special purple accented jerseys to be autographed and auctioned after the game, with proceeds benefiting VAI.
In addition, fans can enjoy other purple elements, ranging from concession items to songs and graphics during the game.
Upper-bowl tickets are available for $10 for the Purple Community Game.
The Griffins are offering a limited Purple Pack package for $23, with two lower-level center-ice tickets and the chance to be part of the Griffins High Five Tunnel during starting lineup introductions.
With it being a Friday game, $2 hot dogs and $2 domestic drafts are available from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. while supplies last. Also, purple beer is to be available at select locations, including the D-Zone, along with purple cotton candy, slushies, donuts and assorted desserts.
Established by Jay and Betty Van Andel in 1996, Van Andel Institute is an independent research organization dedicated to preserving, enhancing and expanding the frontiers of medical science, and to achieving excellence in education by probing fundamental issues of education and the learning process. This is accomplished through the work of more than 200 researchers in more than 20 on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships spanning the globe.
The Griffins also have home games this weekend at 7 p.m. Saturday against the Rampage and at 5 p.m. Sunday agains the Chicago Wolves.