East Grand Rapids and Rockford Win Girls Lacrosse State Championships
More trophies coming to West Michigan!
The East Grand Rapids and Rockford girls lacrosse teams each won state titles on June 7.
The girls state championships for Division 1 and Division 2 each took place Saturday afternoon at Rockford High School.
Rockford took home their second straight Division 1 championship with a 16-7 win over Ann Arbor Pioneer.
Rockford closed the first half up 13-5 after a 5-0 run. The Rams’ defense set the tone and carried the strong play into the second half
Rockford upped its lead to 15-5 minutes after the break and held Pioneer scoreless until it added a pair of late goals.
East Grand Rapids won their third straight championship as they took home the Division 2 title with a 11-7 win over Okemos.
The game was tied 6-6 halfway through the second half before EGR went on a 4-0 run on their way to the championship.
A strong showing, but no championships for West Michigan boys lacrosse teams this year.
Three West Michigan schools made it to the semifinals, but none were able to advance to the finals.
- Division 1 - Forest Hills Northern lost to Detroit Catholic Center 15-14 in overtime.
- Division 2 - East Grand Rapids lost to Detroit Country Day 11-8.
- Division 2 - Forest Hills Central lost to BH Cranbrook-Kingswood 11-10 in overtime.
Many West Michigan teams had top-five finishes, but no winners.
- Division 1 - Rockford - 3rd place
- Division 1 - Grandville - 4th place
- Division 2 - Forest Hills Eastern - 2nd place
- Division 2 - Forest Hills Northern - 4th place
- Division 2 - Grand Rapids Christian - 5th place
- Division 3 - South Christian - 5th place
Congratulations to our West Michigan student-athletes on some amazing finishes!