Dog Virus In Michigan
A serious dog virus has been discovered in Michigan.
Find out what researchers know about the virus and the symptoms to watch for.
The suspected virus is called Canine Circovirus.
The virus can make dogs very sick and has the potential to be deadly.
WZZM13.com has more:
Veterinarians at the Emergency Veterinary Hospital in Ann Arbor say they believe at least four dogs treated at the clinic in recent months died after contracting canine circovirus.
All of the sick dogs were found to have severely inflamed intestinal tracts, an infected or abscessed pancreas and enlarged abdominal lymph nodes, Dr. Lindsay Ruland, owner and chief of medicine at the hospital, said in a news release. They also had varying degrees of lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea.
Dogs are not the only one’s effected by the virus. Huffingtonpost.com explains:
The circovirus sickened animals last year in both San Diego and possibly Ohio. It’s a small contagious virus that is most often seen in pigs and birds. It’s been known to cause vomiting and diarrhea since being discovered in dogs in 2012.
There is no evidence yet that canine circovirus can be transmitted to humans or cause human disease. But veterinarians told WXYZ-TV they believe that humans may be unknowingly transferring the virus to their pets.